Monday, December 29, 2014

All American Surgery Recovery - Week Three Update

Merry Christmas! Christmas Day was the three week mark for me. I hope any of you who read had a wonderful Christmas holiday spent in whatever way makes you happiest, and if you don't celebrate the holiday hopefully you had a great and relaxing day off :)

This week was full of ups and downs. If I am realistic, I can see that there has been improvement, but it feels like there is still so far to go. I know there is a light at the end of the tunnel, but it isn't even January yet and I spend 3/4 of the month still in my hard cast!

Last week's goal of successfully managing the car ride to my in-laws in Connecticut went really well. We had me propped up in the back with lots of pillows and blankets, plus extra crackers, ginger ale, and ice packs. Since I was behind my husband, conversation was a little tough, but we had Amy Poehler's "Yes, Please" on audiobook to keep us company. I highly recommend it! Plus, when we got to the house, I got to spend most of my time on the couch cuddling with the family's two basest hounds. Pretty hard to complain about that!


What I Would Have Done Differently - Medicine Management
 One thing I did not anticipate at all was struggling to manage my medicine at my in-laws house. Not that I had problems taking the meds, but because we were on the family schedule, and following a number of holiday traditions (homemade tea ring and chocolate ice cream included) I didn't have as much control as I do at home about what I eat and when. I also didn't think to bring my usual yogurt and applesauce. As a result, I ended up spending the night of Christmas pretty miserably sick to my stomach, which was really not fun. I do have to say, trying to manage it while using the peg leg was at least pretty comical!

What is Frustrating - Feeling Stuck
This week, the fact that I've spent three weeks sitting on the couch in our apartment really started to bother me. My poor husband, he's done such an amazing job of trying to keep my spirits up, but when we got home from his parents' house and I sat back down in the same spot on our couch, I just lost it. This week I'm going to have to work a little harder at keeping myself in a good mental place. We've got friend's who we'll spend New Year's Eve with, and I'm going to reach out to some other local friends to see if they want to stop by. Plus, we've gone on little trips to the grocery store or pharmacy the last couple of days, and getting out of the apartment for even a little bit has really helped.

What I'm Looking Forward To - My Family
I think one of the biggest reasons I've been in kind of low spirits is that this is the first Christmas I haven't spent at home with my family. But, there's no way I could manage riding in the car all the way out there, and I'm on a no-flying restriction for another two and a half months. It really, really sucks, but we're making the best of it. My parents and I talk on the phone every couple of days, and we're setting up a  video chat with my parents on New Year's day and open our Christmas presents, which will be great. The only downside is that we got the box of gifts from them today, and it is going to be pretty tough leaving it unopened!

What is Working - The Peg Leg
Yesterday, the hubby and I went drove by a house we're looking at, went out to dinner, and got groceries from the grocery store. The peg leg was clutch for all of this. It is working really, really well. If you missed it, the peg leg is actually called the iWalk Free. It has a tray that my shin sits on, and straps that go around my thigh, knee, and ankle. It really gives me a lot of freedom that I don't get from the scooter, and I really love it. I do get a LOT of weird looks, and a lot of questions from people about it, but that doesn't bother me. After I've been using it a bit longer, I'll do a whole review post about it!

What I've Accomplished - Surviving Christmas!
I was really nervous about how Christmas at my in-laws would go with my foot in the cast, especially because while the main family areas are downstairs, the bedroom I use is on the second floor. Luckily, it all went great, and I had a wonderful time. The whole family really welcomed me, and although I missed being with my own family, we had a lot of fun. Oh, and my mother-in-law even took me to a family friend hair-stylist and I got my hair washed and curled all pretty for Christmas Eve!

This Week's Goal
This week I am really going to work on staying in more positive spirits. I've started watching a new television series (Hart of Dixie), I've got a couple of different books lined up, lots of wedding thank you notes to finish, and a different chore every day that I'm going to work on. Anything to keep my brain busy. Plus, each day I'm going to try to at least walk a circuit around our parking lot. Luckily, we don't have any snow or ice right now so that's a little easier!

From my family to yours, silly as we may be, I hope you had a lovely Christmas!

1 comment:

  1. I agree keeping yourself busy does take a bit of imagination and planning. Its so god to hear that you had family, I was alone when I had my first surgery. Its amazing what you are capable when you are against the wall.

    ReplyDelete