Tuesday, October 13, 2015

Starring Rolls Cafe Lunch Review

Our day at Disney Hollywood Studios went by very quickly, but we still managed to ride all of our top choices. Between Rockin' Roller Coaster, Toy Story Mania, and strolling through the exhibit before "Walt Disney: One Man's Dream" (you can take the girl out of the museum...) we managed to squeeze in lunch at Starring Rolls Cafe. My husband and I are big sushi fans and I knew they served sushi as well as cafe style sandwiches, which would appease my non-sushi eating in-laws. Plus, they are known for their cupcakes. Hard to go wrong there!

Starring Rolls Lunch, August 2015
Ordering & Atmosphere
The shop itself is tiny, but has nice covered seating outside with umbrellas so those of us with near-translucent skin can avoid freckling. We managed to sit just before the afternoon parade, and although we couldn't see much we could hear the music (and sing along to Let It Go four times in a row).

Because we tended to eat lunch later during our trip, they were out of several things by the time we got there. The other issue is that, unless you know you can get the cupcakes as part of the dining plan lunch, there was nothing in the signage or layout to suggest that. Everything else was in one large case when you come in, with the cupcakes in two separate, smaller cases. I was the only one in my family that caught on, and you bet your butt I got a cupcake. A big massively huge delicious cupcake that I only ate a tiny fraction of. Still worth it.



Food & Drink
Here's what we ordered:
Me - Vegetable Sushi & Butterfinger cupcake
Hubby - Turkey Sandwich & Banana Split
MIL - Ham Sandwich & Napoleon
FIL - Ham Sandwich & Tiramasu

We were all really pleased with our food. I was a little bummed they didn't have any other sushi options available as it is one of my favorite things to eat, but the vegetable sushi was still great. It had a very nice texture, and seemed very fresh. Plus, anytime I can eat a giant chunk of pickled ginger, I'm a happy girl.

The sandwiches were fantastic. Served on thick foccacia bread, they had a massive amount of meat and were served with condiments on the side. This was by far one of the most filling counter service meals we had for the trip.

The desserts were amazing. My cupcake was one of the best things I ate on the entire trip. Seriously. Just look at it. I don't love frosting, so I was a little nervous that the top would be too overwhelming but it was perfect, and the creamy center was delicious. Everyone liked their dessert, but I think mine (literally) took the cake. Each entree also came with either a bag of chips or a piece of fruit. I think we all grabbed either an apple or banana, but honestly I was so full the apple just hung out in my purse for the rest of the day.

Starring Rolls is known for its cupcakes. We only ended up with the one, but they do have many available and change them out pretty frequently. As we were there during the "Frozen Summer" event, they had adorable Frozen themed cupcakes, like these Olaf ones. They are HUGE, and I would definitely call them worth the snack credit.



TLDR Breakdown
Food Rating: A
Atmosphere Rating: B
Service Rating: B-
Overall Rating: B+
Bottom Line: We'll definitely eat there again. I don't feel like Hollywood Studios has as many great dining options as, say, Epcot, but this is a solid lunch choice and I'll definitely suggest it when my family goes back again!

Check out my other Disney dining reviews and planning tips here!

No comments:

Post a Comment